A total number of 79 different transportation projects were funded and completed in the urbanized area by the City of Champaign, the City of Urbana, and the State of Illinois in 2018.
These projects include:
- MCORE Phase 2 & 3 Construction
- Pennsylvania Avenue Reconstruction
- Airport Road West Reconstruction (from Willow Road to Cunningham Avenue)
- Cunningham Avenue resurfacing (from University Avenue to north of I-74)
- Regular street and bridge maintenance, bike lane and sidewalk installation/improvement, intersection/railroad crossing improvement, signal and street sign installation projects.
The map belows shows the distribution of transportation projects completed in the urbanized area.
Funded and Completed Transportation Construction Projects
|Year||Total Number of Projects||Total Project Cost||Economic Impact (Estimated Induced Jobs)|
Staff used Transportation Project & Tourism Economic and Fiscal Impact Model developed by East Central Illinois Economic Development District Retention & Relocation for an incomplete estimation of number of jobs induced by transportation projects founded and completed by the State and the Cities of Champaign and Urbana . The following assumptions were made in the model:
- 90% construction materials was purchased in State
- 75% construction materials was purchased in Champaign County
- All materials were purchased during the first year of the project
This measure receives a positive rating because these investments in transportation infrastructure improvements have encouraged job growth in the urbanized area by improving regional connectivity and accessibility.